Wednesday, January 2, 2008

~First night in Saigon~

Dec. 30 2007

I got into HCMC late last night and was feeling a little nervous about my move to Vietnam. Everything seemed a little more overwhelming at first: the sights, traffic, language barrier and the noise. I had forgotten about the noise in Saigon- the glaring sound of horns and peddlers and motorbikes and street vendors and beggars- all clamoring for your attention. After a while, the sounds all meld into one- and in its own way, it’s slightly soothing to me. I remembered that this organized chaos was one of the things I found most appealing about Saigon- and why I felt more than comfortable coming back.

I’m met at the airport by Philipe, a friend of the only person I know in Vietnam, Bao. Bao is a friend-of a friend-of a friend (thanks Chi Be!) And Philipe has agreed to pick me up and help me a bit with getting acclimated into Saigon- thank god for these two, as they’ve been my lifesavers!

For the meantime, I’m staying at Bao’s place in the Binh Thanh District. For those who don’t know- HCMC is divided up into various districts- (kinda like neighborhoods in Brooklyn) each invoking a certain connotation when mentioned. Bao’s place is lovely, as you can see from the photos below, very Fort Greene worthy- (which means I probably will be looking for a place in District Bed-Stuy.)

2 comments:

STEPHANIE said...

Sweet Jesus Girl, this is beautiful! And I was worried about you, you are doing better than we are in BK. Must be n-ice. ;)

ClaireBTrippin' said...

Looks like you're well-situated honey bunny! Thank you for setting up this blog--it helps me feel closer. I love you in a serious way...